Monday, August 12, 2013

My Everyday Makeup Routine

     This is actually my first makeup tutorial post! Let me give you a back ground on my makeup "journey." When I was in high school, I always received makeup from my mom in the US. She would send me Maybelline and Covergirl mascaras and eyeliners, not that I knew how to put them on. It wasn't until my freshmen year in college that I started taking interest in wearing makeup. I had on simple makeup: powder foundation, mascara and blush. That was it! Then, my mom introduced me to Youtube beauty videos that I took more interest in the art and started learning simple techniques here and there. The first ever Youtube beauty guru I've ever watched was fafinettex3 or Aubrey, in real life, a Filipino beauty guru based in the US. Then I subscribed to the Fowler sisters, Elle and Blair (allthatglitters21 and juicystar07 respectively), Michelle Phan, Julie of julieg713, Kandee Johnson, the Pixiwoo sisters to name a few and I haven't looked back since. I am an official Youtube beauty channel fiend, watching a ton of tutorials everyday! I have subscribed to a ton of channels on Youtube all focused on beauty and fashion. Long story short, I have been influenced by this new form of media with regards to makeup. Watching on Youtube is like getting free makeup lessons from makeup artists with the likes of Lisa Eldridge without ever leaving the comforts of your own home.

     With that out of the way, here's my everyday makeup routine! I love to keep it simple and looking fresh and awake. My makeup routine has evolved ever since but I still keep it within my comfort zone, prefect for everyday.

  
 
     Here is a before and after photo of myself. In the before photo, you can see that I have terrible dark circles due to staying up late at night. Hihi. On the right is my made-up self. Mind you that I do wear eye shadows and eyeliner from time to time, most especially on occasion. I'll take you step by step on how I achieve my "no makeup" makeup look.

PREP
     First I start with a cleansed face. I use my Pond's facial wash then tone with the Nivea Matifying Toner. 


     I have combination to oily skin. I mostly get oily on my T-zone, specifically my nose area so I make it a point to always, always use this toner. Next I prime my eyelids. It may sound like a weird step because I don't normally put on eye shadow, save the times when I feel like it (work at times, church, night outs), but I never skip this step because I have oily eyelids. If I don't put eye primer on, my foundation and setting powder will crease on my lids and my mascara will be all over the place, thus, this step is crucial. I've been using this Etude House Proof 10 primer for several years now, and it has never failed me. 


FOUNDATION
     Then, onto foundation! Recently, I've been using this Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3 in 1 liquid foundation. I got it as a gift from my sister who recently went home from the US. I use the shade Buff Beige 825, which I admit is a bit lighter than my skin tone. It works on me though because I am very acidic, so the  color adjusts to my skin once it oxidizes. This foundation is light weight, perfect for everyday.



     As you can see in the photo above, I apply this foundation with a flat foundation brush. In the bottom left photo, I've applied one layer of the foundation on half of my face (right side on the photo). You can see an instant difference: my face became more awake. My skin on my face is darker than the rest of my body, another reason I can get away with a lighter foundation color. In the bottom right photo, I am sporting a full face covered in one layer of this foundation. 

CONCEALER
     For concealer, I use the L'oreal True Match Concealer in Light/Medium W 4-5, another gift from my sister. I don't put concealer on the whole of my under eye. Instead, I trace on the dark line under my eye and just conceal that area to prevent emphasizing the darkness. 




     I'm not really fond of concealing, not unless I feel that my bags are extra dark that day. I don't mind my bags, really. They're there, part of my face. Haha. I sort of inherited them from my dad. Anyway, moving on...

BROWS
     My obsession! Ever since I learned how to draw them in, I've never left the house without them, ever! The brows definitely do frame the face. As you can see, I have VERY sparse eyebrows, something I've inherited from my mom. You see, both my sisters have lovely, full brows, unlike me. But there is always a way! I love using the Etude House Darling Brow Pencil. It's got this slanted tip, making it a lot easier to draw straight, precise lines. I use have the shade #1 in dark brown, I believe. I then, set everything with my Maybelline Brow Powder from my mom. 


1. I outline the top and bottom of my brows to define the shape, then with a light hand, fill in the rest just so I have a uniform color to them.
2. Left brow done! (Right brow on the photo)
3. Both brows shaded in. :)
4. Brows are now set with the Maybelline Brow Powder.

MASCARA
     Another one of my favorite parts of the routine, defining my lashes. I have okay lashes. Not too long and voluminous, but they're not entirely poor. 

     
     For mascara, I've been trying out this L'oreal Voluminous Original in Blackest Black. I've been loving it so far. It gives me very black, voluminous lashes. This isn't waterproof but I've never had a problem with it smudging on me. The consistency is moussey, which is a plus. I am a fan of spidery, thick lashes so I slap this on like nobody's business. Normally, 2 coats is enough for me to get to my desired result.

Left lashes are coated with the L'oreal Mascara vs. my bare lashes
Another view of my coated lashes. You can see that the lashes are more defined compared to my bare ones.
Mascara done! 
BLUSH
     Last, and certainly not the least, rosy apples! I love me some blush. I've been using this Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Exposed ever since I got it off of Ebay. It's the perfect everyday color, old rose and matte. Sometimes, I switch it up and use my NYX Creme blush in Red Cheeks. But mostly, I use this product and I love how it lasts a very long time. :) I don't naturally blush, but this gives a beautiful color on my skin!


FINISH PRODUCT


     Phew! And we're all done! Here is another close-up of my after photo! From here, I can just add liner, eye shadow, or lip products if I wanted to. But most of the time, I go out looking like this. :p So sorry for such a long post but hopefully, you picked up something from me. Everything I do for my makeup, I've learned from random beauty gurus on Youtube! Hihi. 

Love, 
Maple

3 comments: